Here’s a complete guide on rejuvenating your LVT flooring, making it look as good as new!
If you would rather watch this than read, check out our expert explaining it all:
Understanding LVT Flooring
First, let’s understand what LVT flooring is. It’s a popular pick for many homeowners due to its resilience, waterproof nature, and durability. However, over time, these floors can appear dull and tired. The good news? They are relatively easy to refresh.
Signs of Wear and the Need for Refreshment
You might notice your LVT flooring looking dry, tired, or having visible scuff marks. This is a clear sign that your floor needs a refresh. The acrylic finish on these floors acts as a protective, sacrificial coat, taking on the brunt of wear and tear. When this layer gets worn down, it’s time for a refresh.
Can You Refresh LVT Flooring Yourself?
Refreshing LVT flooring isn’t typically a DIY job due to the need for advanced equipment. Regular maintenance, however, is key. To prevent wear, regularly remove dry soil and use door mats to catch dirt, especially if you have a gravel driveway.
Professional Refreshing of LVT Flooring
When it’s time for a professional touch, the process involves a few key steps:
- Cleaning the Floor: The first step is to clean the floor thoroughly to make sure you remove any dirt and imperfections.
- Abrasive Treatment: Using a special pad with fine grit, professionals will gently abrade the surface to prepare it for the new finish without causing scratches.
- Applying the New Dressing: After cleaning and drying, we would need to apply a new coat of acrylic or polyurethane finish. This process restores the shine and offers renewed protection.
- Choosing the Right Finish: Choosing the right type of dressing for your floor is essential. Some products can leave a shiny, plasticky look, highlighting imperfections. Opt for a matte finish if you want a more natural look.
- Post-Application Care: Once the new dressing is applied, your floor will not only look beautiful but will also be well-protected.
To maintain your refreshed LVT flooring, follow these tips:
- Use Walk-Off Mats: Keep mats clean and replace them regularly to catch dirt and sand before they enter your home.
- Regular Cleaning: Keep up with regular cleaning to prevent dirt build-up.
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Use manufacturer-recommended cleaning products to avoid damaging the new finish.
When to Call in the Professionals
If you have significantly worn down your LVT flooring and need a refresh, it’s best to call in professionals. They have the right tools and expertise to restore your floor efficiently and effectively.
Restoring LVT flooring is a fantastic way to rejuvenate your space. While regular maintenance can prolong the life and appearance of your floors, a professional refresh can make them look brand new. Remember, the key to long-lasting beauty in LVT flooring lies in both regular maintenance and timely professional care.
FAQs about restoring Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) flooring:
1. What are the most effective methods for deep cleaning LVT flooring?
Answer: This question often comes up as people want to know how to thoroughly clean their LVT flooring without causing damage, especially to restore its original shine and appearance.
2. Can scratches and scuffs on LVT flooring be repaired, and if so, how?
Answer: Owners of LVT flooring commonly ask about repairing superficial damage, such as scratches and scuffs, to restore the floor’s aesthetic appeal.
3. What are the best products to use for maintaining the shine and appearance of LVT flooring?
Answer: This question focuses on the products that are safe and effective for regular maintenance to keep LVT flooring looking new and to prolong its lifespan.
4. How can I prevent and repair fading or discoloration on LVT flooring?
Answer: Since fading or discoloration can affect the appearance of LVT flooring over time, individuals frequently inquire about prevention techniques and ways to restore the original color and finish of their floors.
Our Knowledge Centre has many other articles about stone floors, carpets, rugs, upholstery and vinyl, so don’t forget to check it out!
Written by Tracey Gilbey, Marketing and Admin Coordinator at Art of Clean.
For further advice or information on our Carpet and Soft Furnishing care, please do not hesitate to contact the Art of Clean team on 01223 901551 in Cambridge. Our services include Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, oriental and area Rug Cleaning, Curtain Cleaning, Patio, and Driveway Pressure washing, Leather Cleaning, Stone and Tile Floor Cleaning, and Wood Floor Sanding and Restoration. We also supply new flooring and carpets through our sister company Art of Flooring. Our Dry-Cleaning service is provided by Farthings Cambridge